Spam comments can immediately clutter up your site, making it look unprofessional and pushing real visitors away. Cleaning up all that spam after the fact is challenging. This means you should completely consider installing Akismet: Anti-Spam Plugin.
Akismet anti-spam plugin connects to a continually updated database of spam, so it’s quite proficient at identifying which comments are trouble and cleaning them out. It also allows you to see what comments have been flagged.
Akismet is a reliable choice for most users, but there are lots of great alternatives. For example, Antispam Bee is a well-reviewed plugin with a lot of customizable settings and features. Whatever plugin you choose, you’ll be taking a major step to stop comment spam on your website.
To stop comment spam on your WordPress site, you can:
- Reduce the number of links allowed per post
- Create a list of ‘blacklisted’ words
- Set up a comment moderation system
- Restrict comment privileges to registered users
- Use an anti-spam plugin, such as Akismet.
- Move to a third-party comments plugin.